Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Running to make a difference


It was a cold but sunny autumn afternoon.  The temperature was eight degrees Celsius.  I could hear the roar of the crowd encouraging us to keep on going and to never give up.  My legs were dead but my spirit was very much alive because I was just a few steps away from achieving my dream of completing the New York City Marathon.

Finally, there I was.  After 42 grueling kilometers and four hours and 49 minutes of ecstasy and agony, I crossed the finish line of the greatest running event in the world.  I raised both hands in the air with clenched fist, had a great big smile on my face and shouted out loud,  "Yes, you did it!"

Then suddenly, there was silence.  Silence I felt for the first time after running alongside 39,000 runners and a million spectators that came to cheer the runners on.  A rush of emotions filled my heart and I suddenly started to tear.  There was the feeling of intense pride and joy like I never felt before.  There was a profound feeling of a great sense of accomplishment.


I have sacrificed so much for running but it was given back to me so much more.  After four months of training, not only was I in the best shape ever in my 37 years; I was also stronger mentally and spiritually.  Running is such a positive experience that has helped me live a full and happy life.  It has truly made me a better person.

I wake up to the roar of the crowd again.  A volunteer puts on the New York City Marathon finishers medal around my neck.  Wow! What an experience I just had.  How will the folks  back home truly feel the way I feel right now? Talking about it just won't cut it.  The only way is for them to have the same experience I just had.  I said to myself we got to have our version of the New York City Marathon in the Philippines!  And from that cold sunny afternoon in the middle of Central Park was born the idea for the Condura Run.


My father has always taught me to give back to the country.  So, I combined my passion for runnng and scuba diving to give runners the opportunity to give back to the country simply by running for a cause.  I thought, that we would be hitting two birds with one stone by getting people to lead happier and healthier lives through running while at the same time running to protect the marine environment.


It was in Tubbataha in the summer of 2006 that I got to see the beauty of our coral reefs and understand why we are the epicenter of the coral triangle in the world.  Sadly, 90 percent of our reefs are damaged or completely destroyed.  As a scuba diver, I felt compelled to do something about this.  So in 2008, the Condura Race for Tubbataha was born.  We were able to raise P100,000 for the benefit of the marine park rangers led by Park Manager, Angelique Songco.  She is a modern-day hero protecting this jewel of the Sulu Sea from the greed of illegal local and foreign fishing companies.  But more importantly, we were able to raise public awareness for Tubbataha making it one of the top contenders in the search for the new "Seven Wonders of the World."


This year Condura has partnered with ABS-CBN foundation's Bantay Kalikasan to help preserve the whale sharks in Donsol, Sorsogon.  The recent newspaper headlines featuring a 15-inch baby whale shark showed that Donsol may not only be the "Whale Shark Capital of the World" but also the "Whale Shark 'Hatchery' of the World."  That's how important Donsol is not only for the Philippines but also for the world.

Aside from Bantay Kalikasan, Condura also partnered with Runners for Others and Operation Smile.  I was surprised to find out that one out of 500 Filipino children suffer from cleft deformities.  For an extra P100, runners will get a really cool race bib and will make a child smile again.


In keeping with our vision of being the premier running event in the country, Condura is launching its centerpiece event, the Smart 21k Half-marathon to the Skyway.  This will be a historical event not to be missed.  I am very thankful to Ramon Borromeo, president of the Skyway, and Eduardo Nepomuceno, head of Skyway operations, for making this happen.  We also have the Kenny Rogers 10k Challenge, the 5k Discovery Run and the 3k Fun Run.

As in previous races, we shall have marching bands and cheering zones to provide runners with the extra adrenaline boost.  There will be Vitwater hydration stations every 2.5 kilometers.  Jollibee mascots will be giving runners high fives! Inspire Inc. will provide motivation signs along the route.  There will be a Cebu Pacific Costume Contest and the top three winners get to go to Donsol and stay at Casa Bianca Beach Resort to see the whale sharks for themselves.  Those that don't win can have their pictures taken in front of the Canon whale shark photo walls by award-winning photographer Gutsy Tuason.  Participants can get a 10 percent discount in Nike stores and can enjoy up to 70 percent off during the Condura Run Expo.  Lots of prizes and raffles will be given away during race day.

This year, there will be about 5,000 to 6,000 runners.  We expect even more celebrities, captains of industries and movers and shakers of Philippine society to join the run.  The ultimate dream is to extend the Condura run to a full 42k marathon and make it an international event.  We also plan to take the Condura Run around the Philippines, spreading the gospel of durable bodies and durable seas for a durable Philippines.

I've always believed that greatness comes by doing the little things that matter the most.  Running as it is can make a big difference in preserving our national treasure - the whale sharks of Donsol and making a child with cleft deformities smile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment